How a CCTV, or IP Camera, People Counting System Works
27 June 2020
Tests show video people counting achieves over 98% accuracy. This is how it's done anonymously.
- Overhead closed-circuit television camera, or IP camera, tracks people's movements.
- The camera connects to a people counter which accurately detects and records how many people pass through the counting zone.
- The people counters send back data over Wi-Fi, Internet, IoT, IP, Ethernet, RS485 or RS232.
- Counts can be combined with live sales data in a POS database, giving real-time sales conversion figures.
- Wide entrances and areas are handled by linking several cameras across the ceiling.
- The embedded video server lets you view live video footage alongside the people counts, so you can accurately verify, and configure, the system over the internet.
- Once set up, counts alone can be sent over the network to save bandwidth.
- Replay counting videos for off-site commissioning
- Choose the time period over which counts are measured: every hour or every 5 minutes for example.
The people counting hardware - we also offer people counting via virtual machines
What are Video Analytics?
Video analytics means the computerised analysis of video streams from cameras. A Video Turnstile counting unit (or virtual machine counter) connects to a CCTV or IP camera and performs real-time analysis of the video for immediate detection and counting of people. During setup, video and analysis can be streamed to a central computer where the settings and counts can be seen.
Our image processing algorithms are over 98% effective at counting people entering and leaving counting zones.
The Video Turnstile people counters are independent of the video cameras.
With our hardware option, there are two types of Video Turnstile unit: one that counts people which is called a VT, and one that saves the counts, which is called a Logger. Each counting system needs at least one Logger. The Logger can save counts from up to 16 VTs. Each camera connects to a VT. The system is thus infinitely scaleable. If you need more counting areas just add more cameras and VTs. At regular intervals the Loggers transmit their counts to the central computer.
Lifetime Technical Support
We want your system to be reliable and accurate. We are happy to help with setup and configuration, and provide lifetime technical support.